Post Leaving Cert / Pre College Blues

If you are one of those people who knew what they wanted to study in college since they were 15 - this blog post probably isn't for you...

This blog post is for the person who is currently having a meltdown because of how nervous they are about starting this new chapter in your life, because that was me a year ago.

To anyone who always knew what they wanted to study or even went straight into college after doing their Leaving Cert - I commend you because I could never have done that. In the year following the LC, I took a year out and did a PLC in Business Administration, which is slightly ironic considering business was by far my least favourite subject in school. But I learned so much in that one year (both academic and non-academic), and it gave me an opportunity to think about what I wanted to study. When I was in my final year of secondary school, I was definitely aware towards the end of the year that I wouldn't be going straight to college for two main reasons - firstly I was only 17 which in my opinion is too young to make such life decisions, and also I had no idea what I wanted to do. I toyed with the idea of being a Podiatrist, a journalist and a nurse - all very different professions and I changed my mind almost daily.

In your final year of school you're already under so much pressure, and I just thought I should take time to make one of the biggest decisions of my life, and one thing I would want everyone to know that there is no rush. Your friends at school may have their whole life planned but that's them, not you. You have to row your own boat and let them row theirs. We all have different paths and different steps to get there. Young people today have to deal with unnecessary amounts of pressure in their school life, home life and in their social life. The lead up to the LC adds pressure as most students who want to get the grades they have worked for, plus if they plan on going to college they have to consider how they are going to finance it, where they are going to live and what they are studying might become one less stressful factors.

Every year on results day there are people who won't be happy with what they got. Fortunately I had fantastic leaving cert results but I didn't know what to do with them. I had no clue what I wanted to study. In reality I was in a worse position that the people who were disappointed with their results because at least they knew what they wanted and I firmly believe that if you know what you want you will get there. Thankfully today the LC doesn't mean as much as it once did, there are more options and possibilities for students to work their way up. So don't be disheartened.

During my PLC I got the opportunity to go on open days and I actually ended up getting into Maynooth University after going the Open Day with Finn Valley College. I am really happy where I am, I am studying Spanish and Geography and the only advice I have for this years group of Leaving Cert students are as follows:

  • Just breathe, don't get into a hectic fit over small things, read up on what you need to do for college and when you need to do it. If the stress every gets too much just take a moment to breathe slowly because nothing on earth is worth upsetting your mental health for.
  • Don't feel like you are any less of a person because you didn't go straight into college, your older self will thank you for taking a break after the LC. The time between secondary school and college is a special time where you aren't an adult but you're not a child either, realistically you will be working your whole life so you will never regret taking 12 months to pause and consider what you want from life.
  • Friends can be your world but they shouldn't impact how you live your life. Just because your friend is staying at home for college doesn't mean you have to - of vice versa. Being separated from your friends after school can be heartbreaking and it will either make or break your friendship. But this can't stop you from living your life.
  • The President of NUIM addressed the incoming first years and he said that we shouldn't be afraid to reinvent ourselves as university is a fresh start for us all. Just be yourself no matter how weird or wonderful!
To end this blog I want to say that it is normal to feel like you have not idea what you want to do but don't lose hope because for every one person who knows exactly what they want to do - there are three people who are clueless!

Be Brave and Believe in yourself! <3

Comments